Saturday, March 3, 2012

Disaster of a Shortcut

Today, I looked forward to eating my mother's delicious chicken noodle soup. Nathan is up north at his annual ice fishing man weekend. So the soup is all mine. An entire frozen container of the soup... Mom makes the best soup. First, she boils chickens, carrots, potatoes, celery, turnips... tons of veggies... boils it all down. Then everyone eats the boiled down delicious food. Then, it all goes through a "mouli baby"... which is pretty much a grinder. And then you add noodles and muenster cheese and eat until your stomach is ready to burst. Since I don't live at home, I miss the boiled meal but get a whole tupperware thing full of soup, frozen. So I cooked up my own noodles (Forgot to buy muenster cheese), and defrosted the soup.

I also spilled the soup all over the floor. The unfinished wooden floor. Which means it soaked into the floorboards and squeezed itself into the gaps between the floorboards. Luckily, I got a bowl full before the disaster. Unluckily, I didn't take the noodles off the stove before mopping the floor, so the noodles were totally overcooked. I wish I'd thought to take a picture of the disaster so everyone could enjoy it with me... but I was busy cursing and being overemotional (i.e., scaring the dog).

Also took some time out to use a toothbrush to scrub between the floorboards. Got a lot of soup out that way, actually.

Today did not at all turn out the way I planned. It was a pretty garbage day, but it is a reminder to appreciate good days... and be glad that most days are not like today.

I went grocery shopping today, bought a lot of fruits and veggies... considering making a shake/smoothie thing later. I might put it off til tomorrow, considering how today is going. Who knows what the blender might do. But it's a step in the healthy direction, so that's exciting for me.

So... tonight's dinner was far from a success. But the bowl of soup and over-cooked noodles that I did manage to eat was pretty tasty in spite of everything else. There's an up side to everything.

So, what's for dinner at your house tonight? (Hopefully, your prep went smoothly!)

No comments:

Post a Comment